Saturday, April 30, 2011

Day 85: Taking stock

Just a quick post today, since we're packing for Florida and are getting on a plane this afternoon -- but I had a couple of thoughts this morning that I wanted to share. Today has given me the opportunity to look at where I've been and what's ahead.

This morning is the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon, a race that takes place every year a week before the big horse race itself. One year ago, I was standing in the pouring rain waiting for a bus to take me to my starting line -- I ran a marathon relay with four other women, splitting up the 26 mile course into more manageable bits. I ran a 5K leg, which felt like an incredibly long way to run. It was only the 2nd race I'd ever run, and I really had fun -- lots of excitement, lots of people around, and my leg of the race took us through Churchill Downs, where the horses were getting ready for their own race. I had to take more than one walking break but I wasn't really worrying about time. In the end, it was a good time but I didn't really know if I wanted to do it again.

Now, a year later, I haven't run at all since then. Yet I'm in better shape than I've ever been. It's hard to believe that I ran last year 20 pounds heavier than I am now and nowhere near as strong. The team I ran with last year is doing it again, and I was tempted to sign up, just to see how much faster I could be. But if I'm honest, I don't really like running. The excitement of a race is fun, but that's about it. And the cool thing is: I don't have to run to be in good shape.

I've also started to get a glimpse of just how much more I have to learn. I can still learn so much about how my body works, about being strong and fast and flexible, about how to eat well and manage my time so I can get enough sleep. Nearing the end of my second 90-day fitness project this year, you'd think I would feel like I have all the answers. I know a lot more than I used to, and that is exactly what enables me to see how much more I can learn and do. This understanding might make some people feel depressed or overwhelmed, but right now I just feel invigorated and excited.

5 more days, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment