Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 58 (I think?)

Getting back to basics this week, have really tightened up on some of my undisciplined eating and am putting my very best efforts into the workouts. I want to finish this program on a strong note!

First kickball game was yesterday, and it was fun. I shouldn't have worried about embarrassing myself -- it was not a super-athletic team. When your teammates are meeting at a bar before the game, then bringing a 12-pack of beer to the game, you know it's not going to be serious. (Luckily for me, the beer was Coors Light and I wasn't remotely tempted. I have standards, people!) But it was nice to be outside in the sun -- we've had a miserable winter here and it's just now starting to get warm. I was only up to kick once, and I summoned up my best kickball kung-fu, but the other team had some good fielders so I was out immediately. I had one moment when a pop-up fly came my way in the outfield, and I managed to catch it -- then drop it. Oh well. We lost 3-2, not as bad as last week's 14-0 loss. :-)

Even though it wasn't physically challenging, actually signing up for a team sport was mentally challenging for me. I haven't done any kind of team sports since PE class somewhere in middle school. I know that the strength and confidence I've gained from PCP and KFB gave me the courage to give it a try. And now that I've played kickball with a bunch of friendly semi-drunk people, maybe before long I can try something a little more challenging.

One question for you all: during the freestyle punches and kicks, I find myself almost constantly bouncing on the balls of my feet. It's happening naturally, just feels like a way to stay energized and ready. On the other hand, it also feels a little nervous and jumpy. I tried staying very still except for the punches or kicks, but that felt flat and kind of weak. I'm wondering how much moving around is normal and advisable.

AND: big thanks to Rebecca & Sarah for letting me know they're still with me! It means a lot to know you're following along at home. Sarah, I know you will ROCK the KFB when the time is right. And Rebecca, you could totally rock it too. :)

Hope everybody is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment